Re: Fast Tranny pull... rebuilt!

To: ptegler@cablespeed.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fast Tranny pull... rebuilt!
From: WBabbitt@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:14:54 EDT
Paul,
Try inspecting the "top hat" bushing under 2nd gear.  It is common for the
washer portion to separate from the sleeve part.  I had this problem (3rd to
2nd nasty crunch) and it turned out to be this bushing.  Replaced it, and
problem gone.
The other thing I noticed about the pre-fix problem was that if I shifted
VERY slowly, it would slide into gear smoothly.  Try a quick downshift and it
sounded like the trans would fall out. OUCH!  When I tore mine down, I had
already purchased a full set of synchros.  Inspection showed (like yours)
that the synchros were just fine.  In fact, they appeared to be better
quality than the new TRF ones I bought.  Needless to say, I kept the
originals in the trans.
Good luck with yours,
Bill

In a message dated 4/15/2003 6:51:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ptegler@cablespeed.com writes:

> Well it only took me 3 hours from the time
> I started taking Big Red's interior apart, to the time
> I had the tranny out on the bench and the laygear
> in my hand.
>
> Well I had taken it apart as 3rd to 2nd shifting was
> very notchy (chunked badly)
>
> After inspecting the syncrhos, they all look new still have
> a bit of clearance (0.015" or greater) between the ring
> and gear face.
>
> So...if it's not synchros, what would make second
> so notchy?  No it's not the oil.
>
> Could gear clearance freeplay on the mainshaft
> cause the 3/2 shift 'crunch'?

Bill Babbitt
TR3A
TVR Tasmin 280i