Gas in the Sump?

To: "INTERNET:TR250Driver@aol.com" <TR250Driver@aol.com>
Subject: Gas in the Sump?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:33:32 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h3GDZtrU000524
Message text written by INTERNET:TR250Driver@aol.com
>Listers,
I need your help again.  While changing the exhaust on the TR6 from an
original muffler set up to my Ansa Free Flow I noticed the strong smell of
fuel.  Yes, I have gas in the sump again.  This problem first surfaced a
couple of years ago after a trip to VTR in Breckinridge.  I changed out the

fuel pump thinking this was the source.  I guess not since it is full
again.
I am big time stumped with this one.  It can't be good running around town
with a sump full of fuel.  I was thinking of driving this car to California

this fall for Triumphfest!  Now What?  Before I start tearing everything
down
I thought I would give you guys a try.  I am thinking no float camber
ventilation but that could be a reach. Help!
Thanks,
Darrell
<

Darrel, there are only two ways gas could find its way into the sump.  One
is the fuel pump and Randall and Michael have covered that.  The other is
the carbs.  The gas tank is positioned such that when full the gas is at a
level higher than the carbs and if you have a float valve sticking open gas
will flow from the tank, through the metering jet into a cylinder, past the
rings into the sump.  The test for this is easy.  Park the car with the
tank near empty.

If this is your problem you may have foriegn particles in the fuel getting
lodged in the valves and a good cleaning and a new filter are in order.

Let us know what happens.

Dave Massey

P.S. I can't believe the King of Concours is putting on a NON-STOCK
exhaust!  ;-)