Re: FW: SB708 - Of Interest to California Listers...Long!

To: bradlnss@lightspeed.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: SB708 - Of Interest to California Listers...Long!
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:16:29 EST
In a message dated 3/24/03 10:39:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bradlnss@lightspeed.net writes:

<< SB708, with our most recent amendments, will require vehicles over 30 years
 old which are driven 12,000 or more miles a year to get a smog check.  Cars
 which are not used as a primary vehicle, driven on a dailty basis, should
 not fall under this definition.  >>

In Pennsylvania, the emission exemption covers cars 1974 and older regardless
of mileage and any car driven less than 5,000 miles per year regardless of
manufacture date.

Cars ~ 80 and older get a idle test, new cars get a idle and 2,500 RPM
unloaded test. ( Phillidelphia has a 20 MPH loaded test)

The regs for 70's cars are so big anything close will pass.  Early 80's cars
with a carb have difficulty passing due to poor fuel control. Mid 80's fuel
injected cars pass easily unless there are failed parts ( which will make the
car run badly anyway.)

If the above quote is true and not spin, the new regs don't sound too bad.

For some prespective I've read 1 pre emission car will produce as much
polutants as 10 emission controled cars.

Harold