Back in the saddle again...

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Back in the saddle again...
From: "Homebru" <homebru@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 08:26:39 -0500
Hi list-

Friday was a VERY good day, as I finally got Daphne back from the shop (see
"Oh what a night!" in archives for a harrowing tale of wheel-offs and tow
trucks).
She was shod with brand new Daytons and 195/65 Michelin XGTs, and rode like
she was on rails.

The mechanic said she was running very rough after sitting there for 2 months,
so he adjusted points, etc.  He mentioned that he thought there was a kink in
the vacuum advance cable or something about v.a.  At any rate, she idled,
drove, and acted better than she EVER had.
Question 1, can anyone give me a layman's explanation of how and why the
vacuum advance works?

He also said I should consider an electronic ignition.  He specifically touted
the Crane unit, and said I should go with the optical vs. magnetic unit,
because it compensated for "something" automatically.  I never considered the
Crane, because it uses that external box, and heretofore, I have kept Daphne
box stock.
Question 2, can anyone make a recommendation here?

The weather yesterday was 75 degrees with a Carolina-blue sky (sorry
Colorado).  Daphne could't have come home at a better time.  I'm so happy!

Thanks in advance,

Chris - 1967 TR4A