GAS MILEAGE P.S.

To: "INTERNET:AVALON2455@aol.com" <AVALON2455@aol.com>
Subject: GAS MILEAGE P.S.
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:07:51 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h2EEGS0K027745
Message text written by INTERNET:AVALON2455@aol.com
>No one has mentioned the alcohol content of our gas nowadays.....up here
in
the NW........it's 10%..........might be good to drink.......but in a car
engine, it has the punch of a cotton ball!!!

Sometimes I really can't understand the EPA's thinking..........you can buy

gas with less pollution capability, that has less power per
gallon.........and then you use more gallons of it to get to the same
destination.  Where are we getting ahead here?????

Point is, I guess........you're gonna get less MPG with todays gas!
<

Clark, I think if you run the numbers it is not as bad as you think.  While
it is true that alcohol has less heat energy per gallon than gasoline, it
is not completely devoid of heat energy.  It may be as much as 25 - 30 %
lower but at only 10% content this reduces the heat energy per gallon by
2.5 to 3%.  When you couple this with the benefit of increasing the octane
rating which means we get more gallons of gasoline per barrel of oil we
come out ahead in terms of oil consumption.

Another nice thing about alcohol is that it will scrub trace amounts of
water out of the fuel system.  The only down side is some older cars have
diaghrams and other components in the fuel system that are not compatible.
I know the fuel pump in the TR3 pack it in as a result, but it was 40 yeas
old anyway.  About time for a renewal.

Cheers

Dave