Re: Searching for Standard Atlas Van

To: <ZoboHerald@aol.com>, "\"jeffrey fenwick\"" <jfenwick@netcom.ca>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Searching for Standard Atlas Van
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 15:58:45 -0000 h2DG9a0K013325
From: <ZoboHerald@aol.com>

> Jeff, the only one I've ever more or less "verified" is a Coffee (paint
>color, not to be confused with a beverage vendor) one in, I think, the Western
>part of Canada. Note that this is actually badged as TRIUMPH and not Standard.
>Somewhere I have photos of it that I really ought to scan.

This is the one which belongs to Ian Cox, a very nice gentleman who I had the
pleasure of meeting briefly when he was in the UK about 5 years ago.

> I also have some publicity photos of an Atlas or two used by the
>Standard-Triumph distributor in Detroit in the early 1960s.

I have some factory literature, press photos and suchlike, plus the Atlas
Register records - the records detail 20-30 Atlases and derivatives which
survived in the UK as late as the early 1990s. I know of the current
whereabouts of a handful and I technically own a half share in one of the few
surviving Atlas Pickups, though this has been in a dismantled state for some
years.  Other than Ian's van, I am not aware of any other survivors in the
North American continent, but I am several thousand miles away..... :-) There
should be a reasonable number of Standard 20s surviving in India - this was a
2138cc wet liner TR engined variant produced from around 1962 to 1968 in the
UK, and produced in some form in India until the early 1980s at least,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics