RE: Convertible/Hood Frame Repair advice sought

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <stag@digest.net>
Subject: RE: Convertible/Hood Frame Repair advice sought
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 10:24:05 -0800
> The Convertible/Hood Frame is broken at the forward joint (see link
> below),
> and I'm uncertain on how best to repair, if even viable.

I'm very interested in the answer to this too, as mine is broken in exactly
the same spot.  It's been rewelded before and broken again; so I suspect
part of the cure is to be sure the rest of the joints are in tip-top
condition.  The kicker is that the top was replaced probably at the same
time as the frame was welded, and it looks completely unused.  The weld
must've broken almost immediately.

I was thinking of sectioning the broken part out, adding a solid rod that
would extend inside the rear tubular portion, and an outer sleeve to join
the rod to the front solid portion, with suitable welds to hold both pieces.
The result would not look original, but I think would be stronger than
original and hopefully not too obvious.

Randall