RE: Let's just send our cars directly to the crusher!!!!!

To: "a Wallace" <wallaces@superaje.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Let's just send our cars directly to the crusher!!!!!
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 07:33:23 -0800
> Maybe it could be put to the gentleman that he might be much more
> successful putting his energy into something that will have
> public support.
> I would suggest (if I lived there) that he try to ram something through
> mandating a total switchover to biodiesel by year X. Biodiesel has the
> benefits of pumping out less black stuff and smelling better,
> nice tangible
> things that people can relate to. If he gets a whole bunch of people
> quickly supporting him, he will forget about this other more difficult
> issue quite quickly, I bet.

Dunno about you, Jim, but I sure wouldn't support having to switch all our
cars (trucks, tractors) to biodiesel ...

And while I'm sure that's not what you meant, I'm equally sure that's how
Sen Dean Florez (author of this bill) would take it.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I
repeat myself."
- Mark Twain, a Biography

That said, when I bought my current 1959 TR3A in 1984, it was the law here
that all cars had to be smog inspected when they changed hands, including a
tailpipe sniffer test.  Since I bought it as a "non-running" car (and drove
it home), I agreed to handle the smog inspection (which was required before
I could get more than a temporary registration).  Having heard all the
horror stories, I tuned it within an inch of it's life : carbs so lean it
would barely idle, with the idle speed jacked up and the timing retarded.
Result was that it flunked ... because the tailpipe was too clean !!!  Their
machine thought it had to have an exhaust leak.

Took it home, reset everything "by the book", went back and passed with
flying colors.  If that sick old engine (later discovered to have broken
rings and #3 liner shaped like a flower vase) could pass, then anything can.

Randall