RE: Another front suspension question (Was TR4A (and 250 & 6) front inn

To: "Darrell Walker" <darrellw@inetarena.com>, "tr list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Another front suspension question (Was TR4A (and 250 & 6) front inner lower suspension torque setting)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:56:34 -0800
> Which brings up another question.  I assume "Lower wishbone to vertical
> link" means the bolt through the trunnion.  I've always used the TR4
> instructions (5 lbs then back off a flat), since the Bently/Factory manual
> is pretty much mute on the whole 4A front suspension.  50-65 is a big
> difference, might explain why I wear trunnions out.  Can anyone
> with a 250/6
> manual tell me if this area should be lubricated at all during
> assembly?  Or
> is anyone willing to scan and post (or send me, and I can put it up) the
> relevant sections of the 250/6 manual for the front suspension?

Darrell, I dug my TR250/6 Haynes out to check, it still has the instructions
for setting the clearance !  So, I wouldn't place too much faith in anything
it says as far as lubrication.

However, this outer joint on the TR4A and later appears to be similar to the
inner lower joint on a TR3A, with a nylon bushing riding on a steel sleeve.
I've always smeared a little grease in there on reassembly.  Although it's
probably not necessary, nylon has fairly good self-lubricating properties,
it doesn't seem like it could hurt and it just might make them last longer,
and ride smoother.  It's probably obsessive, but I even added grease zerks
to mine.

Randall