DIY Leak down tester

To: "Triumph List \(Triumph List\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: DIY Leak down tester
From: "Rob Christopher \(robc\)" <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:06:27 -0500
In a fit of boredom (OK in reality I'm busy as heck at work and there's
no time for any big fixes on the TR6) I bought all the bits required to
build my own leak down tester.

The parts list came from these sites recently posted
http://www.briggs-racing.com/tech/leakd.htm or
http://members.tripod.com/~Wrenchbender/leakdown.html

My question is related to the differences in the two testers on these
two pages.  One shows a regulator and pressure gauge separted by a
tightly reduced (1mm hole in expoxy filled pipe) segment and in line
with the air flow.  It is noted the restricted piece is vital.

The other has a the air gauge mounted to the regulator directly, but
there is no mention of a restricted piece between the two except in the
parts list there is a 'close nipple' noted.

What is a close nipple?  Is it a restricted piece of pipe between the
gauge and regulator?  I of course have the bits to build this second
type but am not sure if I need this restricted bit of pipe......

Rob