Re:$3 gas

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:$3 gas
From: Don Spence <dspence@oanet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:56:16 -0700
Well Michael, when Imperial Oil (EXXON Canada) reports a 400% increase in
profit this year, Shell Canada a 392% increase in profit this year(that's
PROFIT, not revenue) and gas prices are at record highs it is not the time
for any thinking person to claim that taxes are the main cause of high pump
prices. Once again we are being gouged by the opportunistic oil companies.
Nothing like the threat of a nice little war to cow the suckers into paying
more.
I don't mind paying the taxes. We have to pay for road construction and
maintenance somehow. I figure a fuel tax is a more equitable way of
administering "user-pay" than income tax.  But hey, we could turn all
streets into toll roads...

Here in Canada we pay between 76 and 88 cents per liter (approx. 1/4 US
gallon) for regular.  And to really cause your blood to boil... According to
the news last night, regular is 16 Cents a liter in Iraq.  (That would be
Canadian cents too)