Re: $3 Gallon gas/hydrogen/electric cars

To: "INTERNET:ZinkZ10C@aol.com" <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>
Subject: Re: $3 Gallon gas/hydrogen/electric cars
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:55:02 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h1D1wgCL000624
Message text written by INTERNET:ZinkZ10C@aol.com
>As do the electric car advocates.  However, hybrid cars are the answer for

>city driving because: A they reduce pollution where it is the highest.<

As would hydrogen powered cars.  But, like batteries, hydrogen is an energy
storage medium, not a source.  (of course the energy density of hydrogen is
much higher than it is for batteries)

<A all electric car would only be"green" if it was recharged by solar,wind
or
>hydroelectric.

Yup.  Every year several engineering schools participate in the solar car
challange.  These are extremely light vehicles (think three and four wheel
bicycles) literally covered with solar panels and on a good, bright, sunny
day can average 35 MPH.  Between 10AM and 3 PM.

And at around $1.00 US per watt, solar panels are still very expensive as
power sources.

Unless our expectations change, solar powered cars will remain science
fiction.

Cheers

Dave