TR3 Front Caliper Rebuild

To: "rksuggitt" <rksuggitt@sympatico.ca>
Subject: TR3 Front Caliper Rebuild
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 12:18:06 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h14HKVhu003874
Message text written by "rksuggitt"
>Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fit the rubber dust boots
around
the front calliper pistons?   I am rebuilding my callipers and have new
pistons and a seal kit.  No problem fitting the seal and the piston fits
nicely without the boot but I can't get  the boot lip to fit in its groove
in
the calliper body.  The callipers are the type that don't use the wire
retaining ring.  Possible problems:  Poor fitting after market parts, old
dried up rubber,  ???   What about using a brake pad spreader to force the
piston and boot into place?
<

Old mechanic's trick:  fit the dust boot to the caliper.  You'll notice
that the opening in the boot is too small to let the piston fit down
without a bit of streching.  Now, apply compressed air to the hydraulic
fitting and offer up the piston to the boot to block off the air escape
route.  The boot will balloon out around the piston and voi la!  c'est
fini!

Um... works best if you take out one piston at a time.  If you have both
pistons out install one temporarily without the dust boot.  After the other
side is finished, remove the piston and reinstall with the dust boot.

Enjoy.

Dave