RE: Girling vs Lockheed Wheel Cylinders

To: <TeamTiger21@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Girling vs Lockheed Wheel Cylinders
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:50:03 -0800
> Ordered new rear brake wheel cylinders for my TR3. Received Lockheed
> cylinders Vs Girling. Different design and no bleed screws. Is
> this the way
> to go or should I track down Girling cylinders?

Barry, I would definitely find the correct cylinders for your car.  In
addition to lacking a bleed screw, I don't think the fitting will mate
properly with your brake lines, the mounting is different, and so is the
lever for the handbrake.  And, as an extra bonus, the Girling cylinders are
roughly half the price of the Lockheed ones.

Note that there were two different Girling cylinders used on the late TR3,
one had a slotted piston, the other a flat piston.  I'm not sure if they're
interchangeable or not; the slots may be important if your rear brakes don't
have the separate hold-down springs.  Girling evidently felt so ...

Randall