RE: Generator Pos to Neg Ground

To: "Triumph Internet Mail List." <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Generator Pos to Neg Ground
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:52:29 -0800
> In preparation to starting my TR3A up for the first time in over 3
> years, I want to first convert my generator from positive to negative
> ground.  I understand the process to do this but want to be sure
> I have it correct when no electrical are hooked up. Basically, I have
> the battery. Can I run a ground wire from the negative terminal on
> the battery to the chassis and put the positive battery cable on
> the battery but not hooked up to the starter. Then using small jumper
> wires, make the contact to the generator to change the polarity to
> negative ground?

Yes, that's fine (assuming you have the engine ground strap in place and the
generator bolted to the engine).

Note that you want to only connect to the small (Field or F) terminal on the
generator, not the larger (D) one.  You can just tap the terminal, as a
small jumper may not be able to carry the field current (roughly two amps)
for very long.

Randall