Retrofitting TR6 Wipers in a TR4/A

To: "Triumphs List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Retrofitting TR6 Wipers in a TR4/A
From: john donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:59:28 -0800
The wiper motor on my TR4A is tired. Even after lubricating the rack and
installing new wheelboxes they still go slow and the motor is very noisy,
almost like something is grinding inside.  Replacement motors (including
the gear) are expensive,  hard to find, and if rebuilt professionally, will
take weeks. This car is a daily driver so I can't go without some sort of
wiper for long.

So, has anyone out there retrofitted a TR6 wiper motor into a TR4? It
appears that the parts are more available, and cheaper. I understand that
the wheelboxes will need changed because the gearing in the motor is
different. What is the physical mounting of the motor? Is there an adapter
plate? The wiring shouldn't be a problem since my motor is already a
two-speed variety.

Thanks!
John in San Diego (yes, it rains once or twice a year here!)
'67 TR4A IRS