Broken Crank - Update

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Broken Crank - Update
From: Mike Lang <mlang@easystreet.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 07:50:32 -0800
I finally got around to pulling the pistons out of the engine with the
broken crank shaft.

I pulled #1 first. It looks almost like new! No ridge and no carbon on
the skirt. The ring grooves are clean and not tapered. I figured that I
was going to get away without having to buy new pistons and sleeves. I
then pulled the other three and found that they are totally worn out. In
fact, they aren't even the same style of pistons as the first. The #1
piston has four rings, while the others have three. Apparently someone
tried to do a cheap repair, which must not have lasted long.

With the mis-match in piston weights, it's no wonder that the crank broke!

Mike

1956 TR3 (under restoration)
1960 TR3A (looking more like parts, the further I go)