TR3A Leaf Spring Front Pin

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3A Leaf Spring Front Pin
From: "Patrick Cantwell" <cantwell@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:40:51 -0600 out001.verizon.net from [4.60.240.214] at Sun, 15 Dec 2002 10:40:06 -0600
I bought a beautiful black/black 1958 TR3A recently and have found that the
front connecting pin threads for one of the rear road springs sheared off.
This pin goes through the frame & Moss sells a replacement for $16.95.
However a shop has told me they never come out cleanly & said that it will
have to be drilled or perhaps even take the body off to replace it.  Has
anybody had experience removing one of these pins?  The shop has pointed out
several other suspension problems, both front & rear, & quoted $5,000-$7,000
U.S. to fix it.  I am in the process of getting a second (third, fourth?)
opinion.  They also quoted $4,000-$4,500 to do an engine rebuild (I have
noises/knocks at higher RPM's under load).  I'm not entering the car in shows,
I just want a (sunny) Sunday driver.  Obviously this is way too much to invest
in the car.  I know, welcome to the world of naive antique car buyers!!  Any
help/comments are appreciated.