RE: 1980 tr7 tires

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1980 tr7 tires
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 06:18:47 -0800
> it has been suggested to get 205/60/13 tires for an 80 tr7.
> everyone agree ?
> the owners manual states 185/70/13.  if the 205/60/13 are the better size,
> where can i find them ?  what is a good brand tire for this car ?  i have
> called the 3 major tire dealers in town so far and am not having
> luck except
> kelly springfield 185/70/13 for $65 a tire.  suggestions would be
> appreciated.

Larry :

My off-list reply got bounced, so here it is again.

I like to buy my tires on-line, at
http://www.tirerack.com
A bit more hassle, since you have to find someone willing to mount and
balance them for you, but they carry a wide variety and have good prices on
performance tires
(even after you pay shipping and someone local to mount, balance, and
dispose of your old tires).

205/60-13 will likely give you a little better handling, all other things
being
equal, with minimal speedometer error.  The other advantage is that the
higher performance tires are usually only available in low profile.  I see
that Tire Rack has the
Sumitomo HTR4, a high performance all-season tire, in 205/60-13 for
$45/tire.  Or the HTR200, a 'summer' high performance tire for $40/tire.

Even if you wanted to stay with 185/70-13, they have 19 different tires
available, including the Yokohama Avid T4 which is a
performance all-season tire for $36/tire.  I had a pair of these on the
front of my Dodge Caravan (until some low life stole one), they seem to work
quite well.

IMO the Kelly's are strictly "rubber rim protectors", any of the above tires
will give much better handling.  You'll have to check on the mileage, tho
<g>

Randall