Re: List question. regular or digest

To: "John Gillis" <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: List question. regular or digest
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:01:44 -0600
From: "John Gillis" <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>

> Please don't laugh at this one, but what is the difference between
> being on the list, as I am at the moment and the digest, majordomo
> just sent me a message asking if I would like to switch to the latter.

The digest only affects how you receive messages, not where you send them.

Regular list:
If I send an email to triumphs@autox.team.net, you will see it relatively
quickly, and it will come all by itself.  You can easily reply directly to
me or to all of us.  You will get a lot of email messages like mine all day
long.

Digest version:
If I send an email to triumphs@autox.team.net, you will probably not see it
for a while.  You will get only one or two large email messages (each is
called a "digest") a day.  Each of them will contain a whole pile of posts.
Replying directly to me or to the whole bunch of us is more difficult and
you run the risk of sending out a copy of an entire digest, which annoys
folks who don't like large messages.

Which works better for you?  I think that the main reason to do a digest is
if you have a system which charges you so much per message, regardless of
its size.  Others have other reasons for liking the digest method, but I
like the short turn-around and ease of reply of the regular list.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com