Bead blasting differentials?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bead blasting differentials?
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 05:41:11 -0800 (PST)
Hey guys,

I had a little adventure last weekend which yielded an unexpected treasure.

Ive needed a ring and pinion gear for another car I have for a long time now.
The one that was in the car had broken ring and pinion teeth.
I bought another entire axle for $50 but upon closer inspection found that a
section of the ring gear / carrier is pitted from rust.

If it were an IRS unit .. Id throw it in a car and see how bad it was.
Doing that to a solid axle car requires significantly more effort and Im not
willing to invest it just to find out how bad it is.

So anyway, I went to visit this kind soul who lives a bit south of me to get a
high beam switch (nice story that was) and he ended up giving me the guts of
the axle he had taken apart.

Pinion Gear, Spacer and Flange
Complete differential carrier with all gears and shims still attached.

Over all, the parts look very good.
Certainly better than what I have.

But Id like to clean them up a bit better.

Whats an acceptable way of doing this for these parts?

Id like to know if I can take the differential apart (which Ive done before
on a busted one)
Bead Blast the parts, including the gears (with glass beads?  Or do you have to
use even wimpier media?)
And then clean and reassemble everything.

How about wire wheels chocked in a drill?

Or do I have to be content with soaking it in Gasoline and then using a
toothbrush to clean it off?

As always. . thanks for the advice.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday