re: shifter rattle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: shifter rattle
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 01:03:07 EST
Roxy,
I read somewhere - maybe in the Triumph Factory Service Bulletins of the
'60s/'70s  that a heavier coil spring was being made available for the
problem of shifter rattle. It would replace the big coil spring that sits
above the pivot-ball. The spring looks similar to the inside 'door handle
spring'. I wonder if you could double up two door handle springs to good
effect?
Ample greasing of the aluminum cup would be important too if increasing
spring pressure.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
--------
Hi,   On higher RPMs or when I go up steep roads my gear
lever will rattle.I know about the little plunger and
to make it a little tighter I fabricated a longer
plunger out of a drillbit.That improved it a little.
I can actually reduce the rattling by changing the
vaccuum advance setting.But the car will loose torque.
I looked at the lever ant the section that holds the
plunger seems a bit worn.Could that be the problem?
What can I do about it.Is it possible to buy a new
lever?Does a TR6 lever fit?
Any advice?   Thanks    Roxy