RE: or possibly tr7 or 8 project car ?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: or possibly tr7 or 8 project car ?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 20:28:22 -0700
Larry, I'm sure you'll get better answers from the list, but here's what
little I know.

> i was amazed at the amount of tr7's and the price of them (very
> reasonable !).  so now i am considering a 7/8.

TR7s should be almost free !  I was offered a TR7 coupe in outstanding
condition (except for the motor) a few years back, for $400, the consensus
was that it wasn't worth it ... Oh, and the safe assumption is that any TR7
being sold (especially on eBay) has severe engine problems !

>  i don't know
> anything about
> them.  i'd appreciate some info/feedback.  i was thinking the tr6 since it
> would have been such a straight step up from the gt6 for me.  the 7/8 seem
> quite different, or at least they look it.  i'm very interested
> in the engine
> / transmission / axle specs.  the 7's i see on ebay all have 4 cylinder
> engines.

That's right.  It's an all aluminum, SOHC 2.0, canted about 45deg to get it
under the hood.  "Half a Stag motor", although they don't actually share any
castings and the Stag is only a 3.0.  Solid rear axle, according to my
Haynes it was a 3.63 ratio in 4-sp cars, 3.9 in 5-sp (5th gear was a .83
overdrive).  Also available with a 3sp automatic !

>  is this the spit engine ?

No, it was a complete new development.  A similar motor was used in the
Dolomite and in the Saab 99, but they aren't the same.

>  what is the cc/hp ?

HP varied by year and market, as usual the US smog requirements made a big
impact.  I believe the power spec varied from 76 bhp (late US before PI) to
105 (European).

> couple of you guys
> earlier mentioned getting an 8 or putting an 8 cylinder engine in
> a 7.  did
> the tr8 come with a v8 ?  what is the cc/hp of that ?  can you directly
> install an 8 engine in a 7 ?  or is it exotic like trying a tr6
> engine in a
> gt6 ?

I don't know how hard it is to stuff a TR6 motor in a GT6, but putting the
TR8 aluminum V8 in a TR7 is supposedly fairly straightforward.  There used
to be people advertising in Hemmings with complete kits (except the engine).
Might also still be available from Moss UK.  Their Performance catalog has
several articles on the subject, too.

The TR8 motor is actually an old GM design, sold to Rover back in the 70's
after GM was unable to get the reliability they wanted.  A descendent is
still available today in Land Rovers, so parts are fairly easy to come by.
In TR8 trim it displaced 3.5 liters, I believe Rover has pushed it up to 4.2
or thereabouts.  However, you can expect to pay more for the motor than for
a whole TR7 <g>

ISTR hearing the 5-speed transmission is a requirement for the V8, the 4sp
is supposedly weak even for the 4-cyl.

>  and what about fuel injection / turbo ?  anything
> available for the 7/8 ?

Late US-spec TR7s and TR8s were fuel injected, I don't believe the Euro-spec
ones ever were.  I don't know of any blower conversions, but that doesn't
mean there aren't any.  The all-aluminum designs seem to be pretty sensitive
to heat, though, so wild increases in hp are probably not a great idea ...

Moss UK has cams, Webers and whatnot listed in the catalog, although I
didn't check the price list for availability.

Randall