RE: did 4.11 gears originally come in TR6s with overdrive?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: did 4.11 gears originally come in TR6s with overdrive?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:21:35 -0700
Greg :

Like all the previous TRs, carbureted TR6s came standard with 3.7 diffs,
regardless of OD.

4.11 gears were available as special order, but the catalogs listed them as
only being available in combination with an overdrive, hence the confusion.

It was, of course, possible to have the factory build almost anything they
could find parts for, so it was actually possible to order a car with 4.11
gears and no OD, but very few were so ordered.

On the earlier cars (up to around 1973), it's possible to tell a car that
originally had 4.11 gears by the calibration number on the speedometer.
However that doesn't work on the later cars, and I don't know of any other
indicator except a BMIHT certificate, or the numbers on the diff.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO - one of the very few with factory 4.11 and OD, I've never
seen another one.