RE: 73 GT6 start up

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 73 GT6 start up
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:52:04 -0700
> I finally got around to starting my 73 GT6.  It started pretty easily
> considering that it has been 2.5 years since it last ran and that
> was only
> a brief test.  I set the timing to 12 before static and tried to
> set it to
> the spec 4 after while idling.

If the timing when idling was not already very close to 4 ATDC, then your
vacuum retard is not working for some reason.

>  I could get no further than 2
> before and it
> would slow down and start to miss and backfire.  It was idling at about
> 900-1000.  It would also miss and backfire if I try to slow the
> idle to the
> spec 800-850.  It is also a little rich.

Have you checked the valve clearances ?  Do you know it's a stock cam ?

Might be worth getting independent verification of your tach, too.  It's not
unusual for old mechanical tachs to read high by several hundred rpm ...

Randall