Re: TR3 Rack & Pinion

To: <bbrewer@qnet.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Rack & Pinion
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:26:35 -0700
Bill, I have the British Auto Restorations kit.  I think that both you and I
talked to the guy at the Ventura British Car Show about his R&P conversion.

I just purchased the kit and it was delivered last Saturday.  I'm installing
it as part of a disk brake conversion and suspension rebuild.

It is very well built and well designed.

I remember reading somewhere that someone had some issues with it not being
welded to the frame.  IMHO, that is not an issue.  The brackets that come with
the kit are very heavy duty.  Probably 3/8 inch steel.

The rack itself installs in minutes.  It may take a little longer to deal with
the electric fan conversion.  Actually, it took much longer to remove the old
steering components then to install the new ones.

Other than those two new heavy duty brackets that bolt to the original
steering box mounting points, you have to bolt the rack to the new brackets
using u-bolts and switch the two tie-rod arms that attach to the vertical
links.  The kit supplies new length spacers and bolts for that switch.

That's as far as I've gotten on my install.  I have a few peculiarities on my
TR3 (Ford 260 V8 conversion) not found on regular split column models so my
install differs from the instructions after the above.  I did not have to
remove my mechanical fan and replace it with the kit's electric fan.  And I
have a different steering wheel and column which may require a different
length steering rod then what's supplied in the kit.

Besides the extra length of steering column rod and the electric fan, he also
supplies two good quality steering u-joints and a nice aluminum fan hub
spacer/finisher to complete the install.  The kit appears to be very complete
for a split column TR3.  You shouldn't have to buy anything extra or fabricate
anything.  However, YMMV.

OK, that's the positive stuff, now the rest of the story.  The only negative I
have is the price.  As you know, it is not a cheap kit.  But to be fair, you
are not just paying for the parts, but for his design and engineering.  If I
had to fabricate, find, fit and design all the various pieces, it would
probably take me weeks or months.  And I would still have to pay someone to
make the brackets if I were capable of designing them.  (which I'm not).  It
is a good kit for a "parts changer".  (which IS my skill level).  A true hot
rod fabricator may be able to do it cheaper.

In summary, I'd say it's worth it.  But then my steering system was pretty
well trashed due to the V8 conversion so I didn't have much choice.  I have
heard some people say it's like adding power steering to your TR3, but I've
also heard others say that I good rebuild of the existing components is all
you really need.

As with everything, it's your car, do what pleases you ....and anytime you
want to drag race TR3s for pink slips, let me know. <grin>

Paul W.
Torrance, CA
64 TR4
56 TR3