Help, please?

To: "Spitfires List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help, please?
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:29:47 +0100
Guys
Sorry for the bandwidth but I really would be grateful for your input
on what is (now) a very 'foggy' area <smile>
I'm in the process of compiling a series of articles on the evolution
of the four cylinder engine used in all Standards and Triumphs from
1953-1980 - Triumph 10, Spitfire etc. These will hopefully start to
appear in the near future in The Vintage Triumph - annd later articles
will cover wet liner 4 cyl and all six cylinders.
I have to say the evolution of this little power unit is fascinating
and I've uncovered lots of info of which I was unaware and it's all
tabulated as far as I can go. Where I've come unstuck covers engine
specs for this engine from 1968 onwards which date was when the US
emission control engine came into being. From that point onwards, the
spec for NA engines varied considerably from the Rest of the World
build - but I don't have the data. Equally, I can't get that data from
any UK sources. I'm sure some of you may have some old brochures or
data spec seets? I do know that as time went on, Spitfires for the US
became progressively less and less powerful as emissions regs bit
harder and I need to determine to what extent and when. For the sake
of consistency, I'd like the info in the same format as I've already
tabulated so we get a consistent picture. For your guidance, I've
listed below the data I need as it appllies to a UK spec car but how
did the US/Canada cars differ and when did the changes become
effective?
I really will be very grateful for any ifo you can provide as I'm sure
you'll agree an article for US enthusiasts that lacks info on US spec
variations isn't likely to be of much interest?

Cheers and thanks
Jonmac

Triumph Spitfire Mk 3
UK launch date: Jan-67