RE: Thanks and request for carb help ('71 GT6 III)

To: "Roger Langley" <galahad@uslink.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Thanks and request for carb help ('71 GT6 III)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:06:07 -0700
> There is no smell of gas from the carbs regardless of choke position or
> pumping the gas pedal.

Most likely, the jets are clogged with varnish, or possibly the float valves
are stuck closed.  Remove the float bowls from the bottom of the carbs (4 or
5 screws go vertically in from the bottom) and clean with carb cleaner.  If
the bowls aren't full of fuel, then free up the float valves.

>    I am assuming (guessing) that the floats in both
> carbs have deteriorated and aren't floating.

If that were the case, you would have too much fuel, not too little.

>  The rear carb offers no
> resistance when the large "plunger" (is this the choke
> mechanism?)

No, this is the variable venturi.

> is pushed
> upwards.  The front "plunger" offers considerable resistance when pushed
> upwards.

This is not your "no start" problem.  Most likely, the rear dashpot is out
of oil.  Unscrew the knob/nut at the very top and remove the plunger assy.
Look inside for the inner shaft, fill with clean engine oil to within 1/4"
of the top of the inner shaft.  Replace the plunger and tighten the nut.  If
it drains out again in short order, you'll probably want to replace the
O-ring in the piston, which requires dismantling the carb.  But solve your
"no start" first.

Randall