RE: T/O Bearing Question

To: "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: T/O Bearing Question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 20:37:16 -0700
> I am reading and rereading Nelson's excellent articles on TR6 clutch
> issues and a question came to mind:  when a T/O bearing fails like many
> have experienced, what exactly fails?

In my case, it appeared to be a lubrication failure, the balls got rusty,
then rough, then started spalling away.  I put off changing it for a long
time, the balls eventually "went away" completely and the heat generated by
the two races rubbing against each caused the sleeve to seize to the gearbox
nose.

However, driving without a clutch is one of those "essential skills" for a
TR owner, so it still came home under it's own power <g>

Randall