RE: TR6 Starting Problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Starting Problem
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:20:29 -0700
Dennis, my first thought is that the solenoid itself is hanging up when hot.
One way to verify this is to connect a test lamp directly across the
solenoid, from the side terminal that activates the solenoid (not the one
wired to the coil) to the body of the solenoid.  Use lamp cord or something
to bring the light out from under the hood and fasten to a wiper or
something, so you can drive the car with it installed and see it from the
driver's seat.  The light should come on only while cranking the motor.
When the problem occurs, if the light comes on, you've established with
certainty that the problem is not the small wiring, interlock, ignition
switch, ground, etc.

Second thought, are you sure the new ground cable is making good contact
with the body ?  Is it in good shape all the way back to the battery ?

Third thought, double check the wiring where the interlocks were removed.  I
believe the interlock used a relay, if you've retained the relay it might be
the problem too ...

BTW, I'm guessing moving the shifter is just supplying enough vibration to
the engine to shake loose whatever's stuck.

Randall