RE: TR6 U-Joint Circlip Removal Tricks and Splined Shaft Rebuild Questi

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 U-Joint Circlip Removal Tricks and Splined Shaft Rebuild Question...
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 17:17:43 -0700
>  1 - Despite my best efforts, one of the u-joints on the driveshaft is
>      being stubborn, in that all 4-circlips retaining that u-joint
>      refuse to come out, despite my use of liquid wrench and my use
>      of circlip / snap-ring pliers.  (The other u-joint had a different
>      type of circlip which came out without any hassle.)  My question
>      for the list is whether or not there are any tricks that I should
>      use to remove stubborn, stuck circlips?  The problem is that the
>      circlips are stuck or bound at some point along their length, so
>      that squeezing the circlip with the circlip pliers does not free
>      the entire length of the circlip, but simply flexes the free
>      portion of the clip.  Any ideas?

I've had good luck in the past with putting a socket over the circlip (same
one used to drift out the cups) and whacking it with a BFH.  If that doesn't
work, use your circlip pliers to compress it enough to get a small,
sacrificial screwdriver between the clip and yoke, then pry the clip out of
the slot.

No help on the splines really, except to comment that the ones on the
driveshaft move very little.  The TR3 actually has a grease zerk on the
shaft, regular greasing tends to force out the dirt, and the layer of grease
pretty much keeps it out.

Randall