TR6 U-Joint Circlip Removal Tricks and Splined Shaft Rebuild Question...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 U-Joint Circlip Removal Tricks and Splined Shaft Rebuild Question...
From: Nancy and Ken Streeter <knstreeter@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 16:03:55 -0400
I am in the process of replacing a worn u-joint on my TR6 driveshaft
and have a couple of questions:

 1 - Despite my best efforts, one of the u-joints on the driveshaft is
     being stubborn, in that all 4-circlips retaining that u-joint
     refuse to come out, despite my use of liquid wrench and my use
     of circlip / snap-ring pliers.  (The other u-joint had a different
     type of circlip which came out without any hassle.)  My question
     for the list is whether or not there are any tricks that I should
     use to remove stubborn, stuck circlips?  The problem is that the
     circlips are stuck or bound at some point along their length, so
     that squeezing the circlip with the circlip pliers does not free
     the entire length of the circlip, but simply flexes the free
     portion of the clip.  Any ideas?

 2 - While I have the driveshaft out of the car, what is the list
     consensus as to what, if anything, should be done in rebuilding
     the splined section of the driveshaft.  My factory manual for the
     TR6 doesn't list any procedures for rebuilding the shaft, even
     though the manual depicts the splined shaft.  However, my Haynes TR6
     manual has a one-sentence instruction along the lines of "fit the
     dust cap, steel washer, and a new cork gasket over the splined part
     of the propeller shaft."  If I do disassemble the splined shaft, are
     there any suggestions as to what to use for a lubricant?  There seems
     to be very little, if any lubricant on my currently disassembled
     driveshaft.  It seems to me that without a rubber boot over the
     whole thing that regular axle bearing grease may retain dirt and
     actually hasten wear.  Suggestions?

Thanks!

--ken
Well-driven '70 & '74 TR6s