RE: leaking TR6 clutch master cylinder

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: leaking TR6 clutch master cylinder
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:54:37 -0700
> Anyway, the question still remains: when
> rebuilding the cylinders, is it okay to hone them, or should they be left
> alone?

Jim, honing them is dubious, especially with the aluminum cylinders used on
the TRs.  The surface of the bore was supposedly originally treated to
provide a longer wearing surface, honing will remove that and cause it to
wear quicker.  And eventually, the wear/honing will take it far enough
oversize that it won't seal properly.

That said, I've certainly done it myself, with acceptable results.  Make
sure you get the bore absolutely clean afterwards, I suggest alternating
soap and water (which will help remove any remaining grit) followed by
solvent.  Then of course make sure there's no water or solvent left behind.

Randall