Re: Fw: Bosch TR6 Alt. p/n

To: "Alan" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: Bosch TR6 Alt. p/n
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:22:21 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Alan"
> Has anyone tried using an alternator from a tr7 or tr8 with a/c in a
tr6?.
I would imagine that they  would have more amps than the stock tr6 one.
<

Indeed.  John Rossi (I think) has done this and I am looking at just such a
conversion on my 6.  The case needs to be indexed (rotate the front case)
since the two are mounted on opposite sides of the car and the adjuster tab
is on the wrong side.  Remove the three screws that hold the two halves
together, carefully loosen the front case from the laminated stator
assembly (do not attempt to index the rear half since the diode bridge is
hardwired to the stator windings) and rotate the front half until the tab
on the rear case is in line with the other tab on the front case.  Before
you press the case home onto the stator, install all three case screws and
turn them several turns but leave them loose.  This will ensure that proper
alignment is achieved.  Button everything up tight.

Next, you will need some 3/8 quick connect terminals (or ring terminals) to
make the electrical connection and a longer belt.  I haven't tried mounting
it up but there may be some measures necessary to mount it to the TR6
alternator mount, as well.

Good luck.

Dave