Re: whistling belt???

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: whistling belt???
From: "Kinderlehrer" <Kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 20:11:52 -0700
Jim,

I believe that a fan belt noise is more likely to be casued by a too loose
belt than a too tight one.  As I recall, you should be able to depress the
belt in the middle of its span between the alternator and the water pump by
about 1 inch.  If you've got more slack than that, try tightening it up a
bit.  If it still squeeks, go to the auto parts store and get some fan belt
dressing. Also, check the belt carefully to make sure it is still in good
condition.

Hope that helps,
Bob