Some TR3 questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Some TR3 questions
From: datesmanaric@netscape.net
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 14:24:53 -0400
Greetings all,

About to take a nice long trip in the TR3 and have some TR3 questions for
you....

1. Reset the point gap for the first time since getting the car last year.  Its
now at the proper 0.015".  Was at 0.007.  Any thoughts as to what effect the
smaller gap would have?  Can't just hop in and take it for a drive as its
raining and the car's still up on the jack stands.  Just curious what fixing
the gap will do.

2. Oil for the tranny- book says Castrol GTX.  Use 20W50 or something along the
lines of 90W gear oil?  I remember something a while back about additives
adversely effecting the synchro cups, but can't recall what the final
determination was.

3. Oil for the differential- What to use?

4. Went looking in the toolbox for a socket to fit the head on the jack, but it
seems to be a funny size.  Under 9/16", over 1/2", under 14mm, over 13mm.  What
is it?  Guess I should go buy the proper handle....

5. Replacing plug wires- Got a new set from one of the Big 3 and the new wires
aren't the same.  Old ones (which I do not know to be proper) have soft rubber
boots that have only a slight bend to them.  New ones are hard plastic and 90
degree.  Also, the new wire to the coil has a push on plug.  The old one is
screw on (as is the coil, which I also do not know to be proper.  Silver case
and reddish top with a female threaded hole for the wire to the dizzy).  Any
thoughts as to which is right?  The box that came from the supplier was
labelled for TR2/3, but....

Guess that's all for now, TIA.

-Aric.