Re: TR6 Fly Wheel Ring Gear teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g3RD6Ei08974

Subject: Re: TR6 Fly Wheel Ring Gear teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g3RD6Ei08974
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 06:06:03 -0700
>Members,
>I am in the process of repairing a TR6 clutch.  While I was in there I
>checked the fly wheel and discovered that the ring gear is pretty well
>chewed up in a few places.  I remember reading about reversing the ring gear
>on a fly wheel?  Is that applicable to a TR6 fly wheel ring gear?
>Creig Houghtaling

Creig:

Don't do it. While there are apparently a few TR6 owners who have,
for one reason or another, installed the ring gear 'backwards' (that
is, with the bevel facing the away from the starter) with no ill
effects, I'd recommend that you NOT take the chance. The DPO of my
TR6 did what you are contemplating
 he saw the bevel in the
starter-facing side of the ring gear and concluded the bevel was WORN
into the teeth, so he removed the ring gear and flipped it around so
that the 'square' side of the teeth faced the starter. Having done
that, he couldn't find a starter that would work. He tried several
new/rebuilt starters, but they all were non-functional. Of course,
the details of all this are sketchy in my memory, as the DPO related
all this to us some 16 years ago. He was having so many problems with
starters that when we bought the car, there was not even a starter
installed. When I got ahold of the car, my dad and I replaced the
ring gear with new, bevel side facing the starter and bought a
rebuilt starter from somewhere. In the 16 years I've owned the car,
I've had to rebuild/replace the starter ONCE. This leads me to the
conclusion that the DPO's starter problems were directly related to
the incorrect installation of the ring gear.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6