RE: What do I have?

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What do I have?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 07:00:30 -0700
>  James Fowler wrote :
>
> > I had a parts car with a TR3 body.  After dismantling the car I found
> > a rack and pinion steering mech.  Is this a TR3B or a TR4 frame?  How
> > can I tell? Thanks!

Mike Kitchener replied :

> If the rack and pinion steering is original , it cannot be a TR3B
> , but it could be
> a TR4 , which has a slightly wider track , 3 or 4 inches  compared to the
> sidescreen cars .

The easy way to spot the difference between the TR3 and TR4 frame is to look
where the lower front A-arms attach to the frame.  On the TR3/A/B frame,
they mount directly on top of the frame rails, while the TR4 frame has an
extension welded onto the side of the rails.  The 4A (and all later) frames
look considerably different, they have a distinct 'bell' shape in the rear
where the frame kicks out for the trailing arm mounts (even on the solid
axle TR4A which obviously didn't have trailing arms).

However, there are a fair number of TR3 frames running around that have been
converted to R&P steering.

Randall