self locking washers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: self locking washers
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 00:40:21 EDT
The TR4 project is coming along slow but steady. Saturday I took the body off
the frame. The next project on my list is to prepare the car to start the
engine. I have never seen it run and I have some work to do before starting
it. One is to replace the motor mounts as the fan extension is resting on the
steering rack. Taking the old mounts off along with the carburetors brings up
a question about the nuts used. The nuts on there are self locking nuts. I
wonder if that is what should be on there. I walked around the frame and
noted some of the other self locking nuts. This is not a complete list but
just some of the self locking nuts on the car:

motor mounts 4
crabs to manifold 8
steering rack mounts 4
fan pulley & extension 6
rear shock mount 4 - lever 2
rear bumper brackets at least 8
left side of trans 1
clutch slave mount 2
trans mount 2 big ones
drive shaft flange 4 on each end
rear axle to spring mount 8
front suspension too many to count

Are these what should be used or should I use plain nuts with lock washers?
It is my understanding that a self locking nut should only be used once than
thrown away. If this is the case, I will have to replace all of them anyway.
That brings up my next question. Where do I buy them? After reading the
thread on lock washers, I went to PepBoys and saw the lock washers are nine
cents each. I think the nuts are the same. I know that is not much, but when
I buy in bulk, I would like to get a better price. Also, I think they had
galvanized and black nuts and washers. What do I want to buy? Where is the
best place to buy a couple of boxes of nuts and washers?

Peter Schoppelry in digest mode
'63 TR4 w/ body now off frame