Stock TR6 Handling

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stock TR6 Handling
From: Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 22:06:57 -0700
Had a blast today at Gingerman Raceway at the British Show & Go. A very
well run event... and the organizers saw fit to invite some of us
Corvair guys as well... many Corvair guys have LBC's in their past and
vice versa... so it was a good fit. I have both LBCs and Corvairs....

I ran my 95% stock '66 Corvair Corsa (on 205/60/13 Yoko AVS's) while my
wife ran her completely stock TR6 (on 205/70/15 Pirelli P4000's).

The weather has absolutely horrible. 35-40 degrees; pretty constant
rain, snow, and sleet along with gusty winds.

My wife and I were in the same run group; I have had some track
experience; this was her first time on the track.  I was one of the
faster cars in my group of mostly novices even though I was suffering
from some bad brake bias and some strange initial understeer; she was
clearly the slowest and complained that she just didn't understand how
the rest of us could go so fast.

So I took the 6 out for a run. Man did I see what she meant. It was
horrible. It pushed badly and then would snap to oversteer almost
without warning. It was almost like ice racing I had so little grip.
Now I was clearly the slow guy in the group.  She felt much better that
it wasn't just her.

I experimented with tire pressures to no avail.

This was my first time on the track with a TR6.  I have run MG's,
Quattros, and front drivers before as well as Corvairs.   Now I know
that the TR6 should handle as well as if not better than my Corvair...
so I'm not trying to fix blame on the car itself... but rather my
preparation of it.

Are the P4000's that bad in the cold/wet?.... or should I be looking to
other things?  The alignment is to stock specs.

Thanks for any guidance... the wife is not too keen on taking to the
track again unless I can dramatically improve the car...

Bill Elliott
Lake Barrington, IL