Re: Wind deflector DIY $20

To: "Autox TR Listserv" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wind deflector DIY $20
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 09:40:36 -0500
Regarding UV stabilized Lexan - just in case you want to curve the wind
deflector.

First off, this was 1971 and the material may not be the same today.  However,
I ran into a problem when I was given a nice sheet of Lexan to make a
windshield for my EP Healey race car.  I had previously made my windshields
from Plexiglass and had curved them by heating a burner on the electric stove
and gently warming the Plexi just above the burner till it became soft enough
to curve as desired.  Worked great.

When I tried that trick with the Lexan, the windshield developed hundreds of
tiny bubbles within the plastic.  Given that it was strictly to pass tech and
I looked over it rather than through it anyway,it was merely a cosmetic issue,
but for a look-through windshield (or rear wind deflector) it would've been
scrap.

I was told at that time that the UV stabilization in Lexan consists of water
bound into the matrix of the plastic.  When heated, the water turns to steam
and makes bubbles.  I have no idea if the explanation is correct, but the
bubbles appeared every time I tried to bend the stuff.

Karl Vacek
'66 TR4A
'68 TR250
'64 Amphicar