Re: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Change is sad (Long Counter Rant. . please don't read)
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 05:50:22 -0700 (PDT)
Ranting is okay.  So are opinions.

However I'm a little testy today too,  so I might not be as diplomatic as some
of my fellow listers.  Please don't take it as personal though.

Driving a '58 in '68 probably wasn't that big a deal.
I think that it is a little different than driving a 30 or 40 year old car in
2003?

My Dad bought one of the last 4As new in 1968.
It still had the same motor as your the oldest TR. (essentially)
Parts were easily available at stores.
Try going into Trak Auto and finding a TR3 or 4 even listed in their computer.
The kid won't even know what a Triumph is.

For that matter . . there were actual Triumph dealerships still around in 1968.

I imagine it was harder to rough it in an old Triumph daily driver in the mid
80's.  Before the internet community.  After the Company and its dealerships
had closed.   Triumphs weren't in every junkyard either.  You almost had to
know Moss and TRF existed to survive.

I did daily drive my '63 from 86 to 88.  (actually I drove three of them in
this period) Those poor cars had to deal with me in high school.
They still haven't recovered.

For the past two years I've had a 1970 TR6 as my sole transportation.
If it breaks, I hope the TR4 works. (It hasn't until recently)
Otherwise, I'm borrowing cars or sharing a car with my wife.

While I'd say I'm in the upper percentage of Triumph users in the world . . I
must give respect to the even more hardcore guys out there.

Ken Gano . . . driving that old Herald as much as he does.  What a stud!
Bob Kramer . . . Drives and fixes and even races Triumphs.  All while raising a
family.  I'm  a DINK, I have it more easy  . . . I fear having to curtail the
Triumphs when the rugrats join the Tilton family.

There's plenty of others out there too.
If someone wants to modify the cars to suit their purpose.
More power to them.

As for hot seats:
Are you telling me people didn't put seat covers on their cars until recently?
I don't buy it.  That black vinyl is hot as hell.
My personal Tonneau is a pain in the ass to put on.
And it looks kinda crappy too.
I wish it didn't.
They are very cool . . . people always ask about it when it is installed.
It is probably more waterproof than my top (as long as the car isnt' facing
downhill)

Do you know how much a new Tonneau costs?  Sheeeeet!
I'll stick with the towel and look for another solution that works better if it
is available.

Alternators vs Generators?
When did Triumph start putting them in?
I imagine converting to an alternator in 68 would have been a good bit more
controversial than it is today.

Personally . .my TR4 with its generator is pretty weak.
Drive at night, with the lights, the demister fan, windshield wipers and you
are in trouble.  God forbid you try to turn on the electric radiator fan.

Oh no!  another mod.  An Electric radiator fan.  Heresy!

Well . . . Here's my opinion on that:
The metal 4 blade fan for a TR4 isn't so great.
Unbalanced, not too effective at idle, and a real waste at highway speed.
My Mom still curses my Dad's TR4A which overheated regularly in Atlanta Traffic
back in 1969.  That car was only a year old.

I put a yellow plastic TR6 fan on the 4 for a while. I crossed some railroad
tracks too quickly and chopped a hole in my radiator.  (that wast the installer
and the driver's fault . . not the fan or the radiator)

The electric fan makes a lot of sense.
But it is yet another drag on a very weak generator powered electrical system.

An upgraded Generator would probably be even bigger, and even closer to the
exhaust manifold and might be more susceptible to being cooked by the exhast.

Alternators are available at EVERY parts store.

I'm gonna make that conversion one day.

Okay .. my rant is over and I guess I still haven' helped any of the things
that are trully defining my mood at the moment.

My apologies.

Scott Tilton
My car my not be original . . . but the 100's of people who see it on the road
everyday don't know the difference.