Re: Hot Seats

To: Ian Clough <mc_ian@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hot Seats
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:19:35 -0600
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
4/18/2002 8:56:42 AM, Ian Clough <mc_ian@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I just looked at the Wetokole site, crappy website but
>their seat covers look great!  Does anyone on the list
>have Wetokole seat covers??  If so, could you provide
>details...

Really popular with jeepers (esp. the new TJ) but I wonder how
much you'd pay for a custom seat cover to fit. It's possible your
seat is close to a current production seat. OTOH if you could
get a club order with a little volume, maybe a custom run would
work. From my jeep phase a couple years ago, their quality is
considered very good and for all-weather use you can't go wrong.
But while neoprene is the killer app for jeeps -- where I left the top
off rain or shine and hosed down the interior after unloading the
muddy dogs or after a mountain bike ride -- I'm not sure it's the
right fit for a TR. Breathability was just "okay" IMO.

I'd be inclined to go with:

0. the tonneau cover, since it'll protect the dash and interior too.
1. a custom cover like Phil's, sewn by an upholstery shop if you
don't have the in-house skills.
2. a towel with a couple elastic bands poorly sewn on by hand.
3. a t-shirt over the back and a towel tucked in over the bottom.

Myself I'm now using a painstakingly color matched* turtleneck
from my wife's Goodwill pile pulled over the bottom seat cushion
of my TR4. Slightly warmer in winter, slightly cooler and less sticky
in summer, and it covers the cracked vinyl quite nicely. And I use
the tonneau since my work parking lot is dusty.

*follow this process: if interior is red, take the red turtleneck. <g>

Steven Newell
Denver, CO USA