RE: Need avice on motor oil & brake fluids for 67TR4A

To: "'Mdmorin@aol.com'" <Mdmorin@aol.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Need avice on motor oil & brake fluids for 67TR4A
From: john donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:55:48 -0700 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g3FG1fw07024
Hello Moe,
I've just completed my TR4A restoration, and use the following:

Motor: My engine mechanic tells me to use straight 30W, but I use 10W40
Castrol. Should be good for winter as well. IMO 20W50 is also OK, maybe too
much in Wisconsin when it's cold.

Additives: Nada. Don't need them. The motor oil has enough already.

Brake/Clutch fluid: DOT5 silicone, but this is off of a fresh rebuild with all
new parts. Use what you have already (i.e. DOT4) if not changing ALL the
components.

Radiator fluid: 50/50 mix of Prestone and tap water. Sure, there are minerals
in it, but we're not ironing clothes here. I'd also recommend doing a radiator
flush first, even with a fresh radiator and engine. I actually flushed mine
twice. IMO the red Water Wetter is useless.

Make sure and lubricate the chassis and u-joints real well before putting any
miles on the car.

Have fun!
John in San Diego (with the top down)
'67 TR4A IRS