Misc. ramblings on Moss Alum. Heads

To: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Subject: Misc. ramblings on Moss Alum. Heads
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 09:50:40 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Well, at $1400, it's coming a little closer to being only extravagent.

I've got somewere in the neighborhood of $600 in a cylinder head in
machining costs, new SS valves, new guides, etc., and that's completely
discounting my own time spent cleaning up the ports a bit.

( an aside: I used to save all the receipts of the parts I bought for my
Triumph, but then I started throwing them away, because I don't really
want to know how much money I've really spent on this thing )

I actually think it's pretty neat that somebody commissioned ( not sure if
it was Moss ) the casting of all these aluminum heads for these old cars.

And we think they're expensive now, wait another 10 years or so after
they're out of production again and they become unobtanium and see how
much they're going for.

As far as racing goes, I think the aluminum cross-flow heads for MGBs got
banned in VARA, but I think the rules allow alloy heads in a stock
casting.

It seems like I've heard stories about TR 4-pot heads being cast from
aluminum before long ago.  Does anyone know any scoop on that?

It would actually make a lot of sense for them to cast a TR6 head out of
aluminum simply because there are more TR6s than any other TR out there.

Just think, with a bit of extravagance, the $10K TR motor could be easily
achieved with an aluminum head and supercharger strapped to it running
atop a billet crank, alloy rods, forged pistons and the like.

-jeffrey