RE: Allison XR-700 (TR3A) ... no spark

To: <Popnglo@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Allison XR-700 (TR3A) ... no spark
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:33:05 -0700
> Apparently the Allison XR-700 electronic ignition that has been
> on my 3 since
> I got it about a year ago has gone south. I have traced the
> current (using
> the Hayes manual fault diagnoses procedure) as follows:
> * current at starter solenoid - OK
> * current at terminal A, A1 - OK
> * current at ignition switch terminal - OK
> * no current at coil (either terminal)
> * swapped coil - no change
> And moreover, current enters the "black box" and exits with
> current at the
> gray wire to the distributor, there is current at the
> distributor. There is
> no current from the black or red wires to the coil, and the
> "black box" is
> "hot" at the casing and/or the rivets that hold it together ... so I am
> assuming a short there. No broken connections.

Ed, different units may be different, but my negative ground Allison gets
it's power from the hot wire to the coil.  Sounds as if perhaps your hot
wire is off the coil and only supplying juice to the black box.

Also, the heat sink/rivets on my unit are internally connected to the ground
lead.  Could your ground lead be broken ?

> Is there anyway to fix the "black box"?

I haven't had the Allison or Crane units apart yet, but sometimes things
like this can be repaired, if you're good enough at electronics to determine
what the problem is and how to fix it.  I once repaired a MSD, it was pretty
obvious once I got the case apart what the problem was, and a quick call to
their tech support revealed the values of the burnt components...

> And if so,
> what is the list opinion ...
> Replace the Allison with a Crane XR-700 (same/similar?)
> Other units that may be better (such as Pertronix, what model#) ?
> Convert it back to points?

I'm still not crazy about the Crane XR3000 on my TR3A.  I was much happier
with the MSD 6A triggered with points.  My future plan is to follow in Joe
Curry's footsteps, and use a Pertronix unit to trigger a MSD 6A.

Randall