Re: Positive Ground / Negative Ground revisited

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Positive Ground / Negative Ground revisited
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:30:56 -0500
Cc: "TR List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Message text written by "Fred Thomas"
>> Another item is that I was told by a guy showing a Chevy (but who clamed
> like them all) that Ford changed to 12 volt systems in 1955.
I own a 55 Ford T-Bird, it is 6 volts and positive ground, I sold a 55 Ford
Fairlane conv. about 15 years ago it was 6 volts positive ground, now they
may have changed later on in the model year, this I have no idea. "FT"
<

It's possible that Ford changed in 1955 for the 1956 model year.  Or they
changed in 1956.  But the probable answer is that they changed polarity at
the same time they changed to 12 volts.  I saw a couple of 56 or 57 fords
with dynamo's with decals that said "12 volts, negative ground" and
although it is possible that they all converted polarity it is highly
unlikely for someone to do so in a car headed for concours judging.

But all the GM products were negative ground.

Cheers

Dave