TR6 Rear hubs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Rear hubs
From: Jim Davis <jdavis@ldl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:17:14 -0500
I've been hearing some whining from the rear ofone of  my TR6s, CF38690.
I really can't hear it with the top down, but it is very noticable with
the top up while cruising at 60mph or higher. Seems to get louder as I
slightly accelerate at speed and go away as I'm going down a slight
incline and therefore let off the accelerator a bit. I've also begun
hearing a slight clunking sound upon letting out the clutch. Diff mounts
are not cracked upon inspection, and when I have the car with the rear
wheels off the ground and turn the wheels and then stop them quickly I
get no movement from the diff and the u joints. All seem to be tight
after traveling 2,500 miles on all new u-joints. The clunk is very loud
and noticable after traveling in reverse, stopping and starting off in
first gear. I have checked the movement of my rear wheels when off the
ground and there is signifigant movement both up and down and sideways
when gripping the wheels at 12/6 and 3/9 o'clock positions. How much is
normal? How does one determine when the diff is going bad? Same question
with the hubs?
All comments appreciated and Happy Thanksgiving!
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U