Re: J OD switch from Spit to TR6

To: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@mail.presby.edu>, TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: J OD switch from Spit to TR6
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:02:28 -0600
You'll need to find an output shaft for a TR6 overdrive transmission. It's
not the same as the regular TR6 output shaft (it has an eccentric lobe to
drive the O/D hydraulic pump). I'd be surprised if the tiny Spitfire
transmission used the same shaft.

To separate the O/D from the Spitfire transmission you'll have to engage
it's internal clutch. This can be accomplished by spinning it up to
operating RPM, activating the solenoid, and then stopping it with the
solenoid still engaged. It can also be accomplished by attaching a
hydraulic pump to the pressure test port and pumping it up to 460 PSI.

My guess is that it would be easier to sell the Spitfire O/D transmission
and use the money to buy a TR6 O/D setup.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566  http://www.midwestfilter.com