Re: TR4 radiator overflow bottle

To: <ArthurK101@aol.com>, " Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 radiator overflow bottle
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 01 07:14:45 -0800
>> On the other hand, adding a coolent recovery bottle doesn't hurt.
>>
>> I added one from a GT6 to my TR3A.  It sits on the front apron shelf at
>> the edge of the radiator behind the air deflector.  You can not see it,
>> but I do notice it working.
>
>TeriAnn, right.  I  just never thought it was worth the trouble.

When I finished rebuilding my TR3 the cooling system was marginal. It
overheated when it sighted a hill off in the distance or sat in traffic
in a warmish day.  In traffic the system would overheat enough to spit
out a little coolent.  Then at the next traffic clog there was a little
less coolent available so it would overheat a little faster and a little
more, spitting out more coolent.  A few more of those and I was off the
side of the road with the bonnet up waiting for the engine to cool down
enough to add additional coolent from the bottle in the boot.

Adding the recovery bottle kept the coolent inside the system and the
radiator recovered it in between overheating stops.  So the net was the
engine got warmer than I would prefer but not to the point where I needed
to pull over.

Getting rid of the after market grill and replacing it with a nice
condition factory grill cured my overheating problem.  The area between
grill slats in a reproduction grill is 24% less than the factory grill.

I may not need it now but it is there for backup next time I try to climb
a steep mountain in 100 degree plus weather.

TeriAnn Wakeman               If you send me direct mail, please
Santa Cruz, California        start the subject line with TW -
twakeman@cruzers.com           I will be sure to read the message

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937